Three years ago, I began training in Budo Taijutsu and in those three years, I’ve noticed some changes in life.
1) How I move around is completely different. I walk differently, more fluidly and feel more loose.
2) In addition to how I walk, my sensitivity to my environment has changed dramatically. I used to lumber around like a bull in a china shop bumping into everything (I’m a big guy). Now if let’s say I get out of bed at night to use the restroom and my phone is on the ground beside my bed, I will step on it, but before I put my weight down, I will skip step and continue without giving it much thought. Before I started training I would have crushed the damn thing.
3) I catch things I drop all the time without thought. I used to drop everything.
4) I recognize the subtlety of body manipulation of opponents. I mess with my wife all the time, because she is who I am with more than any other person. I’ll shift her balance very slightly than catch her before she falls. It drives her nuts, it amuses me endlessly.
5) When I think I am doing a technique right intentionally, I often am way off. When I shut off my mind and flow without attempting anything, it comes to me naturally. This is the essence of mushin no shin (no mindness)
6) I am not a badass and am constantly reminded of this standing in the shadow of my teachers. One is a former SEAL, who could survive Bear Grylls style in the woods without the hotel getaway; who is an encyclopedia of information and a genius on the lowkey. The other is a doomsday prepped, tile layer who is brilliantly artistic. People from all walks of life come to this art. The one thing we all have in common is that we are eccentric is one way or another.
7) I have a lifetime of learning ahead and havent even scratched the surface of my martial or spiritual development.
8) I am going to get hurt.
9) I observe and deal with people differently. I attain information on others when I need to without coming across as prying. People will tell you a lot about themselves if you listen more than you speak and gear the conversation toward being about them and not you.
More posts soon to be left in the void of that part of the internet no one goes…